[R] nonparametric significance test for one sample

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Tue Dec 19 19:43:14 CET 2006

If you data is truly limited to be non-negative and you are testing a
null hypothesis that the true distribution mean is 0, then the test is
fairly straight forward.  There exists only one distribution with mean 0
and all values required to be >= 0 and that is a point mass of 1 at 0.
So if all of your data values are 0 then that means a p-value of 1 and
if any data values are greater than 0 (even if it is only 1 value and it
is only slightly greater than 0) then the p-value is 0.

If you want to then estimate what the true mean is for an unknown
distribution, then you may want to look at using a bootstrap estimate.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center