[R] How to write a two-way interaction as a random effect in a lmer model?

Martin Henry H. Stevens stevenmh at muohio.edu
Wed Dec 20 13:25:02 CET 2006

Hi Eva,
A couple questions:
Are repeated measurements taken on rnr? Is rnr "subject"?
Is stress a continuous variable?

See below.
On Dec 11, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Fucikova, Eva wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> I am working with linear mixed-effects models using the lme4
> package in
> R. I created a model with the lmer function including some main
> effects,
> a two-way interaction and a random effect. Now I am searching how I
> could incorporate an interaction between the random effect and one of
> the fixed effects.
>

> I tried to express the interaction in:
>
> recap_random3<-lmer(breath~handling+stress+stress:handling+(1|rnr)
> +(0|rn
> r:stress))

lmer will want rnr:stress to be a factor, but (0|factor) doesn't make
sense. To test for random variation in slopes, you want (stress |
rnr), (or (1|rnr) + (0+stress | rnr) for uncorrelated slopes).

> however R gives me the following error message
>
> :
>
> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : fl[[2]] must be a factor of
> length
> 1744
>
> In addition: Warning messages:
>
> 1: numerical expression has 1744 elements: only the first used in:
> rnr:stress
>
> 2: numerical expression has 1744 elements: only the first used in:
> rnr:stress
>

> If I fit this model in SPSS, this gives me output, but I don't know
> whether I can trust that.
>

> Therefore I went to look for an alternative:
>
> After looking at the help function in R for lmer I deduced these
> models.
>

> Examples from R
>
> (fm1 <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject), sleepstudy))
> (fm2 <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (1|Subject) + (0+Days|Subject),
> sleepstudy))
> anova(fm1, fm2)
>

> My models would then look like this:
>

> recap_random0<-lmer(breath~handling+stress (1|rnr))
>
> recap_random1<-lmer(breath~handling+stress (1|rnr)+(0+stress|rnr))

Or rather with a plus sign

> recap_random0<-lmer(breath~handling+stress + (1|rnr))
>
> recap_random1<-lmer(breath~handling+stress + (1|rnr)+(0+stress|rnr))
or

> recap_random0<-lmer(breath~handling+stress (stress | rnr))

> However, I do not know how to interpret the results. Does the model
> see
> stress|rnr as an interaction between stress and rnr, or did it take
> stress nested in rnr.
>

>> summary(recap_random1)
>
> Linear mixed-effects model fit by REML
>
> Formula: breath ~ handling + stress + stress:handling + (1 | rnr) +
> (0 +
> stress | rnr)
>
>   AIC  BIC logLik MLdeviance REMLdeviance
>
>  9748 9781  -4868       9719         9736
>
> Random effects:
>
>  Groups   Name        Variance Std.Dev.
>
>  rnr      (Intercept) 55.6711  7.4613                       # BUT
>
>  rnr      stress      15.2805  3.9090                       # Does
> this
> output line express the interaction???

If the model statement was correct, these would be variances
associated with the intercepts and slopes of different levels of rnr.
Thus, I would call that rnr by stress interaction.

Cheers,
Hank
>  Residual              7.4567  2.7307                    # If not, how
> should the interaction output look like?
>
> number of obs: 1744, groups: rnr, 217; rnr, 217
>

> Fixed effects:
>
>                  Estimate Std. Error t value
>
> (Intercept)     28.164471   0.716359   39.32
>
> handling         0.012477   0.012330    1.01
>
> stress           0.636979   0.416011    1.53
>

> Correlation of Fixed Effects:
>
>             (Intr) hndlng stress
>
> handling    -0.645
>
> stress      -0.517  0.667
>

> Could anybody please give me an advice how to solve this problem?
> Which
> way is correct to express interaction in the random factors? How
> should
> the output look like?
>

> Thank you in advance,
>
> Eva Fucikova

> Msc. Eva Fucikova
> Netherlands Institute of Ecology (NIOO-KNAW)
> PO Box 40
> 6666 ZG Heteren
> The Netherlands
> tel.: +31 (0)26 4791248
> Email:E.Fucikova at nioo.knaw.nl

> guide.html

Hank Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.muohio.edu/ecology/
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/
"E Pluribus Unum"

If you send an attachment, please try to send it in a format anyone
can read, such as PDF, text, Open Document Format, HTML, or RTF.
Please try not to send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments-