[R] lme4 mcmcsamp matrix not PD

Martin Henry H. Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Wed Dec 20 22:20:52 CET 2006

Hi folks,
I am not providing a small replicable example, because I assume the
problem is related to my quirky data (~650 obs.).
I am using the latest lme4, matrix and coda, and R 2.4.0.

I frequently get the following error message for this particular lmer
model. I do not get this message for the vast majority of my uses of
mcmcsamp.

I was wondering if it might be characteristic of particular kinds of
problems.

 > modb <- lmer(log(basal+1) ~ nutrient*amd +  (1|rack) +  (1|
gen:amd), data=dat.b2)

 > mod.mc <- mcmcsamp(modb, n=10^4)

Error: Matrix is not pd after safe_pd_matrix!
Error in t(.Call(mer_MCMCsamp, object, saveb, n, trans, verbose)) :
	error in evaluating the argument 'x' in selecting a method for
function 't'

Cheers,
Hank

Dr. Hank Stevens, Assistant Professor