[R] Kalman Filter in Control situation.

Leeds, Mark (IED) Mark.Leeds at morganstanley.com
Fri Dec 22 16:39:10 CET 2006

you have to be really careful because
There are two versions of the kalman filter in terms of notation ( even
where you don't have exogenous )

Y_t = F_tprime*theta_t-1 + epsilon_t
G_t = G_t*theta_t-1 + omega_t

Y_t = F_tprime*theta_t + epsilon_t
G_t = G_t*theta_t-1 + omega_t

I haven't looked at any of the kalman filter routines ( there something
in the base KalmanLike, dlm package
Has one and I guess dsel and probabyl others ) but I think hey usually
explain which notation they are using.

The two variations above derive different recursions but you get the
same answer at each step
as long as you estimate the variances consistently depending on the
framework.