[R] multiline system call

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 22 23:31:22 CET 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> Its only available on Windows.

Right, but on linux this works

> system("echo x\necho y",intern=T)
[1] "x" "y"
> system("echo x ; echo y",intern=T)
[1] "x" "y"

so you don't really need input=...

But rereading Nicolas original post, it looks like the problem is
terminating the input with a ctrl-D.

Perhaps a workaround is to pipe the input into sendmail (I recall sendmail
accepts input from sdtin) from 'echo'

Note that the single quotes are needed to protect the '\n's until echo is
ready to act:

> system("echo 'a \n b \n c' | wc ",intern=T)
[1] "      3       3      10"

I have exim - not sendmail, but this sends a msg from/to me on my linux
box:

system("echo 'To:cberry\nthis is a test' | /usr/sbin/exim -f cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu -t "

Maybe this will work for Nicolas.