[R] Rating competitors

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 26 19:53:33 CET 2006

There is a substantial literature on 'statistics in sports' and pairwise
comparisons are of obvious interest. Here is a starting point:

 	http://www.amstat.org/sections/sis/

You might browse the newsletters posted there.

You might enjoy:

Bridging Different Eras in Sports by Scott M. Berry, Patrick D. Larkey, C.
Shane Reese; Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 94,
1999

or

Baseball's All-Time Best Hitters: How Statistics Can Level the Playing
Field by Michael J. Schell

 	http://press.princeton.edu/titles/6550.html