[R] Query regarding linking R with Matlab

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 28 10:51:20 CET 2006

On 12/28/06, Bhanu Kalyan.K <kalyansikha at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Respected Sir,
>
> It worked.
>
> > open(matlab)
> [1] TRUE

Good.

> But however, the 'evaluate' function is not responding.
> When i give the command as:
>
>  > res <- evaluate(matlab, "A=1+2;", "B=ones(2,20);")
>
> The R interface is not returning any value though i wait for 3-4 minutes.

This example should respond more or less instantaneously.

> Same is the case with
>
> > close(matlab)
>
> This is not closing the matlab window, neither it is throwing any warning.
> It is just asking me to wait but finally outputs no result. I am forced to
> "stop the current computation".

Ok, let's turn on all output you can in order to troubleshoot this.
Make sure to do:

  setVerbose(matlab, -2)

before those non-responding calls.  You may also start the Matlab
server in a non-minimized window by calling:

  Matlab$startServer(minimize=FALSE)

This will allow you to see what the Matlab server is doing.  What do you get?

/H

PS. Normally the above should work out of the box; I'm not sure why
you experience all these problems. DS.