[R] rimage package broken with fedora upgrade

John Kornak john.kornak at ucsf.edu
Sun Dec 31 03:55:30 CET 2006

Dear R list members

I would be grateful if anyone could guide me to a solution for fixing my
rimage package problem described below.

I recently upgraded my machine from fedora core 3 to fedora core 6 and
then upgraded R from version 2.3.1 from version 2.4.1.

I then fired up R, tried to load the rimage library and received the
following messages:

  > library(rimage)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
         unable to load shared library
'/usr/lib/R/library/rimage/libs/rimage.so':
   /usr/lib/R/library/rimage/libs/rimage.so: cannot restore segment prot
after reloc: Permission denied
Error in library(rimage) : .First.lib failed for 'rimage'

I tried removing and re-installing rimage. The install seemed to go well
but I received the identical error messages upon loading. (I provide the
output from the package re-install at the very end of this email in case
it is useful.)

I am running R version 2.4.1 and fc6 on a dual boot (with XP) Pentium 4
Dell Dimension 8250. I have both fftw-2.1.5 and fftw-3.1.2 on my machine
within /usr/local and .

rimage was working fine on the same machine before I upgraded from R
2.3.1 and fc3.

I searched online but was unable to find any relevant posts.

Thanks again

John
--
John Kornak,PhD
Assistant Professor
Email: john.kornak at ucsf.edu

 > install.packages("rimage")
trying URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/src/contrib/rimage_0.5-7.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 331029 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 323Kb

* Installing *source* package 'rimage' ...
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking fftw.h usability... yes
checking fftw.h presence... yes
checking for fftw.h... yes
checking jpeglib.h usability... yes
checking jpeglib.h presence... yes
checking for jpeglib.h... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for GNU libc compatible malloc... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs
g++ -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/lib/R/include -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O3 -g -c equalize.cpp -o equalize.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/lib/R/include -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O3 -g -std=gnu99 -c fftw_access_func.c
-o fftw_access_func.o
g++ -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/lib/R/include -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O3 -g -c freqfilters.cpp -o freqfilters.o
g++ -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/lib/R/include -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O3 -g -c interface.cpp -o interface.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/lib/R/include -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O3 -g -std=gnu99 -c jpegio.c -o jpegio.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/lib/R/include -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O3 -g -std=gnu99 -c laplacian.c -o
laplacian.o
laplacian.c: In function ‘laplacian’:
laplacian.c:14: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘clearFrame’
g++ -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/lib/R/include -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O3 -g -c matrix.cpp -o matrix.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/lib/R/include -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O3 -g -std=gnu99 -c smooth.c -o smooth.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/lib/R/include -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O3 -g -std=gnu99 -c sobel.c -o sobel.o
g++ -shared -Bdirect,--hash-stype=both,-Wl,-O1 -o rimage.so equalize.o
fftw_access_func.o freqfilters.o interface.o jpegio.o laplacian.o
matrix.o smooth.o sobel.o -ljpeg -lfftw  -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
** R
** data
** help
  >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'rimage'
      Formats: text html latex example
   cat                               text    html    latex   example
   clipping                          text    html    latex   example
   equalize                          text    html    latex   example
   fftImg                            text    html    latex   example
   fftw                              text    html    latex
   highpass                          text    html    latex   example
   imageType                         text    html    latex   example
   imagematrix                       text    html    latex   example
   laplacian                         text    html    latex   example
   logo                              text    html    latex   example
   lowpass                           text    html    latex   example
   meanImg                           text    html    latex   example
   minImg                            text    html    latex   example
   normalize                         text    html    latex   example
   plot.imagematrix                  text    html    latex   example
   print.imagematrix                 text    html    latex   example
   read.jpeg                         text    html    latex   example
   rgb2grey                          text    html    latex   example
   sobel                             text    html    latex   example
   sobel.h                           text    html    latex   example
   sobel.v                           text    html    latex   example
   thresholding                      text    html    latex   example
** building package indices ...
* DONE (rimage)

The downloaded packages are in
         /tmp/RtmprJeHV4/downloaded_packages