[R] rimage package broken with fedora upgrade

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Sun Dec 31 16:32:49 CET 2006

Responding to the original post, which I did not save.

> On 31/12/06, John Kornak <john.kornak at ucsf.edu> wrote:
> >

> > Dear R list members
> >
> > I would be grateful if anyone could guide me to a solution for fixing my
> > rimage package problem described below.
> >
> > I recently upgraded my machine from fedora core 3 to fedora core 6 and
> > then upgraded R from version 2.3.1 from version 2.4.1.
> >
> > I then fired up R, tried to load the rimage library and received the
> > following messages:
> >
> >   > library(rimage)
> > Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
> >          unable to load shared library
> > '/usr/lib/R/library/rimage/libs/rimage.so':
> >    /usr/lib/R/library/rimage/libs/rimage.so: cannot restore segment prot
> > after reloc: Permission denied
> > Error in library(rimage) : .First.lib failed for 'rimage'

I had the same problem, but, unfortunately, a slightly different error
message.  My error message said:

> library(rimage)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
'/usr/lib/R/library/rimage/libs/rimage.so':
  libfftw.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
Error in library(rimage) : .First.lib failed for 'rimage'

So I took the hint and said

yum install libfftw.so.2

and this installed libfftw,
which cured the problem.

But you did not get this error message about libfftw.

Jon