[R] Using a console application from within R

Jonathan Weeks weeksjp at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 1 04:40:35 CET 2006

I would like to open a console application from within R and then send input
to the newly opened console. I can use the following to open the application

setwd(path)
system(paste(path,"icl.exe",sep=""))

This allows me to type in what want, but I would like to do something like
this

setwd(path)
system(paste(path,"icl.exe",sep=""),input=c("icl sim.tcl",
"exit"),wait=TRUE)

If I include input as part of the system function the application opens and
then closes immediately without processing the input.

Any assistance that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan Weeks
Doctoral Student
School of Education
University of Colorado, Boulder