[R] Mixed-effects models / heterogeneous covariances

Ana Inés Vázquez Saravia anainesvs at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:00:15 CET 2006

You can solve your problem assuming independence between the animals (not
considering relatives information). This gives you less precision in the
results, but is what you can do right now. The variance structures are more
for longitudinal data or cases where you can predict in that way the
variance structure. In your case the variance structure is determined by the
relationships between the animals. Animal is the random effect (you will
have as many Z columns as animals, and Zrows as animals*observations per
animal).
I am working now in adding the pedigree information, to have ZAZ(Var ui)
instead of ZIZ(Var ui) as one of the components of the variance of your
response variable (y). To use it you will need to have the animals pedigree.
(Note: Z: design matrix for the random effects –the animals-