[R] RHOME

plummer@iarc.fr plummer at iarc.fr
Thu Feb 2 22:34:23 CET 2006

Quoting "Daniel A. Powers" <dpowers at mail.la.utexas.edu>:

> R-help --
>
> I built R-2.2.1 in my own directory on a sun (solaris). Now I would like
> the sysadmin to move the contents to /usr/local/lib and place the binary
> in /usr/local/bin. No problem.  However, the RHOME variable defaults to
> the directory from which R was built so it is not usable by anyone but me
> or ROOT. I would like to avoid building this again if possible. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

R is designed to run from its build directory.  But if your sysadmin installs it
with "make install" (as root), then the shell wrapper that is installed in
/usr/local/bin/R will have R_HOME pointing to the right location
(/usr/local/lib/R).  Literally moving the build directory to another location
is the wrong thing to do.