[R] (newbie) Saving the workspace in .txt format

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 08:41:36 CET 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Thomas L Jones wrote:

> (newbie question) How do I save the workspace in Windows text format
> (with the file extension .txt)? Also, having saved it and edited it,
> how do I load it back into the workspace?

`save' is a command in R, and it has a ascii argument.  So you could do
save.image("workspace.txt", ascii=TRUE) to save, and load("workspace.txt")
to reload.

The underlying assumption seems to be that text format files are editable
(by a human).  Lots of data formats are text files but have many rigid
restrictions:  PDF is one example and R save formats are others.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk