[R] Infinite loop running Mod_R/Rapache

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Feb 3 18:40:40 CET 2006

BJ wrote:
> I installed mod_r according to the specifications, and have been trying
> to get the demo script to work correctly. I am running debian, the
> latest build of R, apache 2 with prefork mpm, and the latest mod_r. Is
> anyone else using this module successfully? I added:
>
> LoadModule R_module mod_R.so
> <Location /test/hello>
>     SetHandler r-handler
>     Rsource /var/www/html/test.R
>     RreqHandler handler
> </Location>
>
> to my http.conf and
>
> test.R in /var/www/html is:
>
> handler<-function(r){
>     apache.write(r,"<h1>Hello World!</h1>")
> OK
> }
>
> When I start apache2, my /tmp directory fills with rtmp directories
> until memory is exausted. The first time it created 32,000 before I
> noticed. Does anyone have any idea as to what I could be doing wrong, or
> have a software configuration that works? Thank you for all of your
> help. ~BJ

This is definitely an apache configuration problem. After responding to
you privately about this issue, I got paranoid and checked the latest
R/Apache code release (rapache-0.1.1) with the following debian packages:

apache2-common/unstable uptodate 2.0.55-4
apache2-utils/unstable uptodate 2.0.55-4
apache2-mpm-prefork/unstable uptodate 2.0.55-4
apache2-prefork-dev/unstable uptodate 2.0.55-4

I could not reproduce the behavior you are witnessing. Maybe you can
send me (off-list) your /etc/apache2/apache2.conf,
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/* and  see if I can't help you troubleshoot.

But this bit of R creating a temp dir (for transient files?) needs to be
handled more delicately in a server environment. I'm going to do some
more digging in the R source... I hope I haven't made some glaringly
wrong assumptions.

--
Jeffrey Horner       Computer Systems Analyst         School of Medicine
615-322-8606         Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University