[R] Passing additional paramaters to nlsList(nlme) fit function

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Feb 4 20:44:31 CET 2006

	  The "nlsList" function does NOT have the common ellipsis ("..." )
argument to support that.

	  An alternative is use "vector" to create an object of mode "list" of
the desired length, then in a loop call "nls" (which does support "...")
and store the results in a list.  However, this won't produce an object
of class "nlsList", which means that the methods writted for "nlsList"
will not be available to you.

	  If it were my problem, I might make a local copy of the "nlsList"
function and try to modify it to work, at least for my problem.  In this
case, "nlsList" is merely a call to "UseMethods".  To get beyond that, I
requested 'methods("nlsList")' with the following result:

	  nlsList.formula    nlsList.selfStart*

	  If you supply your own starting values, you don't need
"nlsList.selfStart".  If you do need it, you can get it via
'getAnywhere("nlsList.selfStart")';  the asterisk ("*") says that this
function is "non-visible", which means that just typing its name won't
get it.  Then I might use "debug" to figure out what it's doing and what
I want to change.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves