[R] panel.levelplot() for 2D histograms

Vermeiren, Hans [VRCBE] hvermei1 at vrcbe.jnj.com
Tue Feb 7 09:53:57 CET 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Deepayan Sarkar [mailto:deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 9:52 PM
To: Vermeiren, Hans [VRCBE]
Cc: r-help at lists.R-project.org
Subject: Re: panel.levelplot() for 2D histograms

On 2/6/06, Vermeiren, Hans [VRCBE] <hvermei1 at vrcbe.jnj.com> wrote:
> Dear R-wizards,
> I'm trying to plot "binned scatterplots", or 2d histograms, if you wish,
for
> a number of groups by using the lattice functionality
> it works fine for one group at a time, and probably I could find a
> work-around, but I prefer to do it the elegant way
> here's an example of what I want, what I tried and where it goes wrong:

If you are doing this for fun, read on. Otherwise, I suggest that you
look at the hexbin package (available from bioconductor) for a better
solution. The development version (to be released after R 2.3.0)
already has a lattice-ified interface called 'hexbinplot'.

>>	for fun ? yes and no, I really need this for my job, but otoh,
working with R is always fun
>>	thanks a lot for the pointer to hexbin, that's really what I was
looking for, but i did read on and I'll try the grid.rect hint as well (just
for fun)