[R] Compiling errors for Matrix_0.995-5.tar.gz under XP

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Feb 8 18:44:01 CET 2006

"White, Charles E WRAIR-Wash DC" <charles.edwin.white at us.army.mil> writes:

> I installed the MinGW-5.0.0 compilers today (gcc-3.4.2 is now
> contained in the 'Current' distribution. When the current compilers
> failed to compile the referenced Matrix update and not knowing how
> to check the exact version numbers for individual files, I applied
> the Id.exe and f771.exe fixes from the 'Building R for Windows' page
> (http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/#ldbug). More compiler
> errors were obtained. I then checked my Pearl version (5.8.7) and
> updated my R tools since I couldn't tell how old they were. At that
> point, I obtained the following output:
>

> C:\Documents and Settings\Whitece.AMED\My Documents\1 Pocket Office\R Repository
> \lme4>rcmd install matrix_0.995-5.tar.gz
>
> latex: not found
> latex: not found
> latex: not found

This looks like an issue with your PATH setting. You're picking up the
wrong "find" command.

> make[2]: *** [C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-22~1.1/library/matrix/inst] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [pkg-matrix] Error 2
> *** Installation of matrix failed ***
>
> Removing 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-22~1.1/library/matrix'
> Restoring previous 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-22~1.1/library/matrix'
>
> If I need to read one of R's many friendly manuals, I'd appreciate a
> reference to which one and approximately which section.

According to README.packages,

Instructions for installing the toolset and building packages using the
standard methods are in the `R Installation and Administration' manual
(which is available in various formats as R-admin.* in the doc/manual
directory).

As fara as I can see Appendix F is the most relevant part, but also
look in Ch 3 and 6.