[R] Shapefiles

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Feb 9 22:04:34 CET 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Tarmo Remmel wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I have examined the sp, maptools, and shapefiles packages (Windows) but
> cannot seem to figure out a solution for writing shapefiles for 'curvy
> shapes'.  The scenario is that I generate a series of polygons, circles, and
> ellipses on a plot and would like to convert them to shapefiles.  Since the
> circles and ellipses are do not return a coordinate list during the plotting
> sequence (e.g., all I need supply are the lengths of axes and rotation
> angle), is there an easy way by which the plot window can be converted to a
> shapefile?

No, the plot window is committed to the device, and (re)-capturing the
objects there as polygon objects will be messy. You'll need to generate an
object that can be drawn as a sequence of straight line segments, and
create a polygon object from that, from the x,y coordinates of the centre
and the radius, or major/minor axes lengths and orientations. There is
some code on:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/56190.html

(see RSiteSearch("circle"))

but I don't know if it will suit your purposes. Once constructed, the
polygons can be built into an object for exporting.