[R] Creating multiple copies of rows in data frames

Eric Archer Eric.Archer at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 10 21:30:17 CET 2006

ListeRs,

Within the last two months, I thought I saw mention of an R function
that would create a new data frame composed of duplicates or multiple
copies of rows of an input data frame given one or several columns of
values indicating how many times each row should be copied.  As a simple
example, given a dataframe:

 > in.df
  x y
1 A 1
2 B 2
3 C 3

"func.name (in.df, in.df$y)" would produce something like:

  x y
1 A 1
2 B 2
3 B 2
4 C 3
5 C 3
6 C 3

For the life of me, I can't remember what that function was called, nor
can I find it using help.search or RSiteSearch on terms like "duplicate"
or "copy".  Perhaps it had another primary purpose, but this was a
side-effect or secondary capability.  Was I hallucinating, or does this
exist as a function in base R?  Or, will I have to make one with "rep"?
Thanks in advance!

e.

--

Eric Archer, Ph.D.
NOAA-SWFSC
eric.archer at noaa.gov

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Cogita tute" - Think for yourself