[R] Need frequency distribution for x,y coordinates

mark shanks markshanks101 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 11 07:40:57 CET 2006

Hi,

I have a set of data in x,y coordinates across the range of -5 to 5 in each
dimension. I would like to obtain the frequency distribution of the
different points, and then graph them so you can see which of the points are
the most frequently occurring.

This would seem to be easy in Matlab, which has the hist3 command for doing
frequency distributions/histograms in 3 dimensions. However, as far as I can
tell, R does not have a hist3 command.

Is there any easy way to do this in R? I'm investigating whether matlab or R
is more suitable for our needs, but don't want to reject R due to my present
ignorance of its functions.