[R] Need frequency distribution for x,y coordinates

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Feb 11 11:07:08 CET 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, mark shanks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a set of data in x,y coordinates across the range of -5 to 5 in each
> dimension. I would like to obtain the frequency distribution of the
> different points, and then graph them so you can see which of the points are
> the most frequently occurring.
>
> This would seem to be easy in Matlab, which has the hist3 command for doing
> frequency distributions/histograms in 3 dimensions. However, as far as I can
> tell, R does not have a hist3 command.

See contributed package ash, function bin2:

> xy <- cbind(x=runif(250,-5,5), y=runif(250,-5,5))
> bins <- bin2(xy, ab=matrix(c(-5,-5,5,5),2,2))
> image(bins$nc)

or

> filled.contour(bins$nc)

Using the x and y arguments to image or filled.contour, you can set the
axes, and asp=1 to preserve aspect.

See also function kde2d in package MASS - included in the standard
distribution.

IMO, 3D histograms can mislead because perception depends on viewer
position. All of the above give readily interpreted visualisations based
on colour class intervals.