[R] Plotting contour & filled.contour in one graph

Michael Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Sun Feb 12 21:15:17 CET 2006

GG

Yes, gladly.  It is an idealized example of the following data
situation:  There are two control or "independent variables."  They are
represented here as x and y, on the horizontal and vertical axes
respectively.  There are two different responses or "dependent"
variables plotted as different types of contours.  The filled contours
show response z.  The heavy lines show response zz.

Thus such a plot displays two different responses from a two-dimensional
range of conditions.  As an example, in fishery biology, x might be the
age at which fish are first subject to capture, y might be the fishing
mortality rate (intensity) applied, z might be the resulting yield per
fish, and zz might be the resulting spawning per fish.  There is usually
a trade-off between yield and spawning potential, and such a graph (if
done with real data) allows one to look at that trade-off.

The OP seemed to be seeking a way of contouring two responses against
two independent variables, and that's what this graph does.

Is that clearer?  Would the graph would be better if I used real data?

MHP