[R] remote access

Pikounis, Bill [CNTUS] BPikouni at CNTUS.JNJ.COM
Mon Feb 13 05:19:39 CET 2006

Hello Altshuler:
Complete, helpful details related to what Duncan Murdoch points out below
are in the R Installation and Administration manual. If you wish to build
and use R without "admin access" in a "Unix-alike", see chapter 2. (Can't
tell from your message except for your message of shell and PuTTY.)

I am able for example to use R on a orphan Linux machine at work where I
have no influence on configuration: I just built R from source in my home
directory as the manual instructs, and then set an alias in my .bash_profile
file like:

alias R='/home/bpikouni/downloads/R-2.2.1/bin/R'

Works like a charm thru SSH PuTTY (Windows) with X11 forwarding and a local
Cygwin X-server installed for graphical devices.

Hope that helps,
Bill

Bill Pikounis, PhD
Nonclinical Statistics