[R] effect sizes in lme/ multi-level models

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Feb 13 17:46:38 CET 2006

	  The "eta^2" you describe looks something like an R^2 (or maybe a
partial R^2), and CohensD looks like a Student's t, at least to me.  The
problem with generalizing these to multi-level models is deciding which
components of variance to include where.  If you can answer that, I
think you can find all the pieces you need by trying
'methods(class="lme")'.  I just got 32 items on that list, but you might
get a different number unless you have exactly the same packages (and
versions) attached as I did just now.  From this list of 32, I suggest
you look first at "fixef", "ranef", and "VarCorr".

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves