[R] read.table

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 14 05:03:36 CET 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Diethelm Wuertz wrote:

> Thanks a lot that works fine!
>
> Next problem, if I would have my own package, and the file "test.csv"
> would be located in the data directory
>
> How to use the function data to get
>
> > data(test)
>
> resulting in:
>
> > test
>
>    %y-%m-%d VALUE
> 1 1999-01-01   100
> 2 2000-12-31   999

I think you might be stuck in a particular mindset about this.

Does the .csv file have to be called test.csv?

If not then if it is called data.csv say, you can have in your data
directory a file test.R with the code:

read.table("data.csv", header = TRUE, sep = ";", check.names = FALSE)

Alternatively you can have the data in the file test.R, plus the code to
read it in as desired. Creating a data structure and reading it back in
with dput and dget is one way to do this.

See page 11 of the Writing R Extensions manual for the possible formats of
files in the data directory:

"The data subdirectory is for additional data files the package makes
available for loading using data(). Currently, data files can have one of
three types as indicated by their extension: plain R code (.R or .r),
tables (.tab, .txt, or .csv), or save() images (.RData or .rda). (All
ports of R use the same binary (XDR) format and can read compressed
images. Use images saved with save(, compress = TRUE) to save space.) Note
that R code should be self-sufficient and not make use of extra
functionality provided by the package, so that the data file can also be
used without having to load the package."

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland	NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics