[R] How to handle large dataframes?

Christian Bieli christian.bieli at unibas.ch
Tue Feb 14 15:24:23 CET 2006

Dear all

I imported a Stata .dta file with the read.dta-function from the
foreign-package. The dataframe's dimensions are

 > dim(d.apc)
[1] 15806  1300

Importing needs up to 15 min and calculations with these data are rather
slow  (although I subset the data before starting analyses).

My questions are:
1. Has someone experiences importing Stata files (alternatives to
read.dta) ?
2. To my knowledge R should not have problems handling dataframes of
this size. Is there something I can do after importing that makes data
handling faster?

My hardware is up-to-date (Intel P4, 3 Ghz, 1 GB RAM) and I work on a
Windows XP platform.
I am working on a Windows XP platform with R version 2.1 (all packages
updated).

Thanks for your answers.
Christian

--
Christian Bieli, project assistant
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine
christian.bieli at unibas.ch
www.unibas.ch/ispmbs