[R] Setting intial path under windows to MyComputer in Interactive file browser

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 13:56:54 CET 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Laetitia Marisa wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> How can I specify in tcltk file browser the initial directory to
> "MyComputer" in Windows where Drives and Partition are accessible?

That is a Tk question, not an R question.  I presume you might mean via
tk_getOpenFile -initialdir ?   It's a subtle one, as 'My Computer' (sic,
with a space') is not an actual directory and you need to ask elsewhere.

> And just a little question if anyone knows, is there a way to use the
> function choose.files under windows to select a directory?

Only if there is a file in the directory.  Then select any file and use
dirname() on the result.

R-devel has a function choose.dir that makes this easier using the same
widget used for the 'Change dir ...' item on RGui's file menu.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk