[R] using kernel density estimates to infer mode of distribution

Adelchi Azzalini azzalini at stat.unipd.it
Thu Feb 16 10:28:41 CET 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:28:25 -0500, Dan Rabosky wrote:

DR>  Is it possible to use "density" or another kernel density
DR>  estimator to  identify the mode of a distribution?  When I use
DR>  'density', the resulting

a simple option is of the form
   fit$eval[fit$estimate==max(fit$estimate)]
assuming that fit$eval is the vector of evaluation points,
and fit$estimate the corrisponding density estimates (this is
the sort of output produced by sm.density)

Here I have assumed there is single mode and we are in the scalar
case, for simplicity. Some variant required in the more general case.

best regards,

Adelchi Azzalini
--
Adelchi Azzalini  <azzalini at stat.unipd.it>
Dipart.Scienze Statistiche, Università di Padova, Italia