[R] nonlinear model: pseudo-design matrix

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Fri Feb 17 08:23:15 CET 2006

Hi Spencer,

you were the only one to reply. Yes I am aware of the intrinsic /
parameter effects distinction and the advantages of LR tests and
profiling over Wald tests based on the local curvature of the
loglikelihood surface at the larger of two models being compared. My
situation is that I am comparing two nested models both of which have
uncomfortably many parameters for the amount of data available. I am
able to fit the smaller of the two models but not the larger. In this
situation neither the the Wald nor the LR test is available to me but
the score test (a.k.a. the Lagrange Multiplier test) is available to me
because it is based on the loglikelihood gradient at the smaller model.

I have been able to carry out the test by extracting

X <- smaller.nls$m$gradient()

and obtaining the extra columns of X for the parameters in larger but
not in smaller by numerical differentiation. It seems that there should
be some way of obtaining the extra columns without recourse to numerical
differentiation, though.

Cheers,  Murray Jorgensen

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand