[R] no convergence using lme

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Feb 17 17:56:54 CET 2006

	  Without a simple, self-contained, reproducible example, it is
impossible to say for sure why "lme" did not converge for you.  However,
if age were constant within animal, that would surely give the symptom
you describe.  I might try computing the difference in the range within
subject, something like the following:

### NOT TESTED:
tapply(VC$Age, VC$animal, function(x)diff(range(x)))

	  If these numbers are all 0, that should answer your question.  If
not, one must dig deeper.  For example, do you get the same error with
Outcome~1, etc.?

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves