[R] Multiple comparison for circular data

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Feb 18 04:07:00 CET 2006

	  I just got 141 hits from 'RSiteSearch("circular data")'.  From this,
I quickly learned of two contributed packages for circular data:
"circular" and "CircStats".  Both seem to be current, and both are
maintained by the same person.

	  If you can compute a likelihood for a particular model, then you can
test for equality of parameters between two data sets as follows:

	  logLik1 = log(likelihood for data set 1 fit by itself.
	  logLik2 = log(likelihood for data set 2 fit by itself.
	  logLik12= log(likelihood for data sets 1 and 2 fit as one.

	  log(likelihood ratio) = (logLik1+logLik2-logLik12).

	  If k parameters are fit for each model, then 2*log(likelihood ratio)
should be approximately chi-square(k).  From this you can get a p-value
to compare any pair of data sets.  Then use Bonferroni, multiplying each
p-value by, say, (k-1).  Any p-value(s) below your Bonferroni-adjusted
threshold could be claimed to be significantly different.

	  If this is not adequate, I suggest you download both packages (if you
have not already), try them, and then send a question to the maintainer.
  If you would like more help from the listserve, I suggest you PLEASE
do read the posting guide! "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".
Also, please install the "fortunes" package and read especially
fortune('posting').

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves