[R] Linux Distribution Choice

Alexandre Santos Aguiar asaguiar at spsconsultoria.com
Mon Feb 20 01:30:00 CET 2006

Em Dom 19 Fev 2006 20:49, Dirk Eddelbuettel escreveu:
> Likewise, my personal Quantian project may well be
> unique in containing all that plus essentially all of CRAN and BioConductor
> (and lots more) in a single DVD.

Quantian is a great job. I have appreciated it a lot.

However, Linux is far more flexible than the large number of distributions.
They are good starting points. The real power is that you can become (at
least partially) independent of distributions by compiling software by your
own, extending and upgrading far beyond the support teams go.

For instance, I am using rigth now an old Conectiva 10 in which packaged R was
version 1.9 and no upgrades were published by support. My current R
installation is version 2.2.1. It compiled and runs smoothly. :-)
Not to mention some other 50+ pieces of software that did not exist in the
original distribution.

Regards,

--

          Alexandre Santos Aguiar, MD