[R] need help on nlme()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 20 11:52:10 CET 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, ronggui wrote:

> I think nlme is not for logistic mixed effect model.
> you should use glmmPQL in MASS or lmer in Matrix

There are two senses of 'logistic mixed effect model'.  One is for a
continuous response as given by SSlogis, and nlme is appropriate.  The
other is a glm with a binomial (or binary) response, and nlme is
inappropriate.

The issue here is that when the fixed includes an rhs, there are
parameters for intercept and slope for each level of SKILLS, although they
will be coded using contrasts.  So 2 starting values are not enough.