[R] Nested AIC

Aaron MacNeil M.A.MacNeil at ncl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 20 18:16:55 CET 2006

Greetings,
I have recently come into some confusion over weather or not AIC
results for comparing among models requires that they be nested.
Reading Burnham & Anderson (2002) they are explicit that nested
models are not required, but other respected statisticians have
suggested that nesting is a pre-requisite for comparison.  Could
anyone who feels strongly regarding either position post their
arguments for or against nested models and AIC? This would assist me
greatly in some analysis I am currently conducting.
Many thanks,

Aaron

<<
m aaron macneil