[R] Boxplot Help for Neophyte

Alex Park alex.park1 at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 20 21:27:35 CET 2006

R helpers

I am getting to grips with R but came across a small problem today that I
could not fix by myself.

I have 3 text files, each with a single column of data. I read them in
using:

myData1<-scan("C:/Program Files/R/myData1.txt")
myData2<-scan("C:/Program Files/R/myData2.txt")
myData3<-scan("C:/Program Files/R/myData3.txt")

I wanted to produce a chart with 3 boxplots of the data and used:

boxplot(myData1, myData2, myData3)

This worked fine so I consulted R [help(bxp)] to add some format and labels
e.g. title= , xlab =, ylab= , notch=TRUE etc. I managed to figure that ok.

However, I could not figure out how to get the labels myData1, myData2, and
myData3 on the boxplot x-axis to denote which box was which (though I knew
by looking). Can anybody help with this?

I trawled through my downloaded R pdfs but could not find a way.

Regards

Alex Park