[R] R and packages

Erin Hodgess hodgess at gator.dt.uh.edu
Tue Feb 21 02:07:58 CET 2006

Dear R People:

Here is yet another strange problem.

I'm using R in one of my classes.  However, the computer lab has something
called "Deep Freeze" and the students cannot save anything to the hard drive.

I had R installed and things were working well.  They would save their
.Rdata files to disks.

Now, we need to add more packages.  We can't download and we can't
bring them in via zip files (already tried both!)  When the zip files
are expanded, of course they build new directories......

I'm completely annoyed because learning to download packages
and installing them from local zips are actually important tasks!
We're also losing good teaching/learning time!

Anyhow, what I would like to do is produce a sort of combination R
installation exe with our extra libraries as part of the package.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be done, please?

This is R for Windows, Version 2.2.1

Thanks for any help!  Sorry about the totally weird problem!

Sincerely,
Erin Hodgess
Associate Professor
Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
University of Houston - Downtown
mailto: hodgess at gator.uhd.edu