[R] R and packages

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 21 17:01:30 CET 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Erin Hodgess wrote:

> Dear R People:
>
> Here is yet another strange problem.
>
> I'm using R in one of my classes.  However, the computer lab has something
> called "Deep Freeze" and the students cannot save anything to the hard drive.
>
> I had R installed and things were working well.  They would save their
> .Rdata files to disks.
>
> Now, we need to add more packages.  We can't download and we can't
> bring them in via zip files (already tried both!)  When the zip files
> are expanded, of course they build new directories......

I would suggest making this the system administrator's problem.  Either
your site really has a policy that would prohibit R packages (in which
case trying to subvert it may not be a good idea) or it is exactly the
sort of problem that system administrators are supposed to solve.

Distrust for R binary (and even source) packages is not a completely
unreasonable attitude. They can execute arbitrary code on your computer
and, in contrast to R itself, you usually have no real knowledge of who
wrote them.

 	-thomas