[R] How do I tell it which directory to use?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Feb 22 08:09:39 CET 2006

Augusto.Sanabria at ga.gov.au wrote:
> Tom,
>
> You can define your working directory by using:
>
> setwd("C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\qpaper7\R Project Started
> 19 Dec 05")

Thanks for your contribution to R-help, but:

No, see the R for Windows FAQs which tell you to use "\\" or "/" rather
than "\"!

> check that your file is there:
> list.files()
>
> and then use:
>
> source("myFile.txt")
>
> the machine should load "myFile"
>
> You can go to another directory:
> setwd("anotherdir")
>
> and repeat the procedure.
>
> Or even better if you define a number of directories in an external file:
>
> dir1 <- c(C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\qpaper7\")
> dir2 <- c(C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\")

See above + don't forget the quotes!

> and after loading the file at the beginning of the sesion you can use:
>
> setwd("dir1")  etc.

In this case without quotes!

  setwd(dir1)

Please don't confuse other R-help readers and try to be more precise in
your answers.

Uwe Ligges