[R] How can one use R-code and R-functions within C-Code?

moritz.marienfeld@arcor.de moritz.marienfeld at arcor.de
Wed Feb 22 13:25:18 CET 2006

Dear everyone,

the following problem: Our group has written a lengthy program in c++, to which we would like to add some additional features. Because we are not sure if those features are actually useful, we would prefer to take a "quick and dirty" approach just to try them out. The additional feature is that in every iteration of the algorithm membership-probabilities should by calculated by a multinomial logit or probit model. We have tried to get C/C++ code for this, but sadly neither me nor my collegue succeded in obtaining C-code for something, which has certainly already be programmed in C several times.

But we know, that R functions like "multinom" exist, which could do the job. This is why we would like to use R-Code and R-functions within or C++ program if this is possible. So I have actually two questions: Is it feasible to use R-code and R-functions like "multinom" within a c++ program? And if so, what is the best way to implement this (how to get data from C into the R functions, how to execute the R functions within C++, how to transfer the results back to c++)?

Moritz

Moritz Marienfeld

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT JETZT bei Arcor: günstig
und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket für clevere Doppel-Sparer,
nur  44,85 €  inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!