[R] Problems building R 2.2.1 with libgoto and SSE2 enabled

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 10:27:00 CET 2006

[This sort of highly technical non-R issue would be better discussed on
the R-devel list.  See the R posting guide.]

Do note the comments in the R-admin manual.  R requires proper results
with IEEE754 specials (Infs and NaNs) and switching on fast arithmetic
options often calls failures because of this.  It is not clear from your
description what compiler you are using (presumably some version of gcc),
and how it handles this.  Since gcc's AMD64 code makes use of such
extensions it may be safe, but we don't know about your compiler/CPU
combination.   Generally the advice is that it takes more time to
investigate wrong results from over-optimization (as now, and it is not
just your time in this case) than to make use of safer options.

However, without knowing what the failure is (look in the
tests/foo.Rout.fail file) we can only speculate.

Building ATLAS should take only a couple of hours at most for platforms
where there are good defaults, and that includes P4 on Linux.  I had a lot
of problems on Opteron, basically because my machine was too fast for the
timing loops (and you also need to ensure that PIC code is used).