[R] Changing the x-axis labels in plot()

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 16:35:22 CET 2006

Hi

Hopefully this one isn't in the manual or I am about to get shot :-S

One of my colleagues wants a slightly strange graph.  We basically have
a data matrix, and she wants to plot, for each row, the values in the
row as points on the graph.  The following code draws the graph just
fine:

plot(row(d)[,3:9],d[,3:9])

So as there are 12 rows in my matrix, there are 12 columns of points,
which is what she wants.

However, she wants the x-axis labelled with the row names, not with
1,2,3,4,5 etc

I can figure out from reading par() how to turn off the default drawing
of the numerical labels, but how do I use the row names instead?

Thanks
Mick