[R] How to produce notches in bwplot?

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Sun Feb 26 18:35:21 CET 2006

Dear r-helpers,

tst <- data.frame(as.numeric(x <- 1:20), f <- rep(c('hi','lo'), times
= 10))
with(tst, bwplot(f ~ x, panel = function(x, y){panel.bwplot(x, y, pch
= '|', stats = boxplot.stats, fill = 8, varwidth = T)}))

I can't figure out from the documentation how to tell stats that I
would like to see notches or (even bands).

Here is what I've done. (By the way, there is something about the
style of R documentation that has --- more than once --- led me to
these kinds of problems.)
RSiteSearch('bwplot notch') gives me nothing (as well as other
similar queries).
xyplot {lattice} tells me about panel.bwplot, but does not illustrate
its use.
panel.bwplot {lattice} tells me about the fact that the default
setting of stats to boxplot.stats, but doesn't give an example.
boxplot.stats {grDevices}  tells me that the default setting is
do.conf = TRUE, which I gathered meant that notches would be computed
and hence plotted.

Does anyone have advice about how I could have gone about finding out
how to do this (preferably from documentation rather than reading code)?
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/