[R] Re> Illegal Instrunction

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 14:21:04 CET 2006

This is a Debian issue, not an R issue.

Almost certainly you are running an ATLAS tuned on a machine other than
your own.

ATLAS is designed to be tuned on the target machine, which is easy to do
if you install it from the sources.  Debian provides pre-built versions,
but these need to be matched to the actual CPU and it seems the matching
has gone wrong for you.

(On RedHat systems I have seen precisely this when R built with an ATLAS
on a P4 was run on a PIII, by someone who mounted the wrong file system.)