[R] any more direct-search optimization method in R

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Feb 28 18:33:35 CET 2006

WC:

	  What do you mean by "noisy" in this context?

	  1.  You say, "gradient, hessian not available".  Is it continuous
with perhaps discontinuities in the first derivative?

	  2.  Or is it something you can compute only to, say, 5 significant
digits, and some numerical optimizers get lost trying to estimate
derivatives from so fine a grid that the gradient and hessian are mostly
noise?

	  3.  Also, why do you think "constrOptim" is too slow?  Does it call
your function too many times or does your function take too long to
compute each time it's called?

	  4.  What's not satisfactory about the results of "constrOptim"?

	  5.  Do you know if only one it has only one local minimum in the
region, or might it have more?

	  6.  Regardless of the answers to the above, have you considered using
"expand.grid" to get starting values and narrow the search (with
possibly system.time or proc.time to find out how much time is required
for each function evaluation)?  I haven't tried this, but I would think
it would be possible to fit a spline (either exactly or a smoothing
spline) to a set of points, then optimize the spline.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves