[R] Understanding and translating lme() into lmer() model

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Jan 5 14:19:02 CET 2006

Peter:

Almost correct. You need to add the variance component for the highest
level of nesting, so your model would be

lmer.m1.1 = lmer(Y~A+B+C+(1|D:E) + (1|E), data=data,method="ML")

But, yes, the : is used to note implicit nesting in lmer similar to the
syntax used for / in lme. The syntax varies a bit because lme was useful
for models with nested random effects. But, lmer can handle models with
more complex structures such as crossed random effects. It doesn't make
sense to use strict nesting structures when units are migrating, so that
is part of the reason for the evolution of lmer().

If you use RSiteSearch('lmer syntax') you will find a few threads on the
topic that might be helpful.

Harold