[R] Wikis for R

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 15:55:05 CET 2006

On 1/7/06, Frank E Harrell Jr <f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

> The current e-mail system places a low burden on users if they follow
> basic posting rules.  The burden is too low and users still do not
> search for past answers and we also get dozens of separate messages on a
> single topic (e.g., ylim on barplots).  As long as everyone allows this,
> a wiki or discussion board will not work.  We need to rethink the e-mail

One technical comment here.  The new R wiki at
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki.
appears to support RSS so one does not have to have the burden of actually
visiting the wiki to read its content.  If you regularly check an RSS reader
in the same way that you regularly check email then the content will come
to you just you as it does in email.    In fact there are even readers that
come email and RSS together so the difference is transparent.

I personally use SharpReader on Windows XP.   If one simply drags the
url of the wiki to the SharpReader address bar then all changed and new
pages display and if one wants to keep it as a subscription one just clicks
the Subscribe button.  amphetadesk is another popular RSS reader.