[R] Powell's Metod

Tolga Uzuner tolga at coubros.com
Mon Jan 16 00:38:49 CET 2006

Ah, my apologies. I meant the method outlined in section 10.5 of
Numerical Recipes using Powell's heuristic of discarding the direction
of largest decrease. A nice twist would be if linmin (line
minimization)  were to be implemented using the methods described in
10.1-10.3, but that is just a nice-to-have.

 From what I understand, Nelder-Mead is the method in section 10.4
(downhill simplex), CG is section 10.6, and BFGS is section 10.7.

Admittedly, optim is fantastic most of the time. However, I have a
factor model over hundreds of elements, where I am trying to back out
the factor distribution and it appears that the method in 10.5 might work.

Thanks in advance in any case,
Tolga