[R] Number of replications of a term

Ray Brownrigg ray at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Tue Jan 24 22:32:32 CET 2006

There's an even faster one, which nobody seems to have mentioned yet:

rep(l <- rle(ids)$lengths, l)

Timing on my 2.8GHz NetBSD system shows:

> length(ids)
[1] 45150
> # Gabor:
> system.time(for (i in 1:100) ave(as.numeric(factor(ids)), ids, FUN =
length))
[1] 3.45 0.06 3.54 0.00 0.00
> # Barry (and others I think):
> system.time(for (i in 1:100) table(ids)[ids])
[1] 2.13 0.05 2.20 0.00 0.00
> Me:
> system.time(for (i in 1:100) rep(l <- rle(ids)$lengths, l))
[1] 1.60 0.00 1.62 0.00 0.00

Of course the difference between 21 milliseconds and 16 milliseconds is
not great, unless you are doing this a lot.

Ray Brownrigg