[R] Complex Matrix Exponentials.

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Jan 31 05:36:05 CET 2006

	  Thank you very much for providing a concrete, simple, reproducible
example illustrating your question.  Without it, it would be much more
difficult for me to understand your question and respond appropriately.

	  I know this is generally a very hard problem, and I've seen come
discussion in the past year about some of the difficulties.  However, I
just read the documentation, which led me to try the following:

 > MatrixExp(diag(1i,2), method="series")
                      [,1]                 [,2]
[1,] 0.5382509+0.8430744i 0.0000000+0.0000000i
[2,] 0.0000000+0.0000000i 0.5382509+0.8430744i
 > exp(1i)
[1] 0.5403023+0.841471i

	  In general, if A is a diagonal matrix, then exp(A) =
diag(exp(diag(A))).  More generally, if you can compute the eigenvalues
and eigenvectors of A, and if there are no repeated roots, then letting
A = V %*% Lam %*% inv(V), we have exp(A) = V %*% exp(Lam) %*% inv(V).
However, if A has repeated roots AND Lam is NOT diagonal, then I don't
know what to do, and I don't know if R has a function that works for
this case.

	  Clearly, your toy example is covered by my test case.  If this does
NOT answer the more general question behind this, please let us know.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves