[R] polynomial expansion in R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Jul 1 17:50:11 CEST 2006

    yyan> Hi: I have two vectors of data, x and y and I want to
    yyan> get the "polynomial" expansion of (x+y)^p with any
    yyan> integer power p in R. Suppose p=2, then I want a
    yyan> matrix of five vectors, namely, x y x^2 y^2 x*y. The
    yyan> coefficient of the polynomial is not needed. I can
    yyan> write it manully if p is small. But I want it in the
    yyan> case of p=10 or even bigger, is there any function in
    yyan> R can do that automatically for me with certain choice
    yyan> of p?  Thx a lot!

 polym(x,y, degree = p, raw = TRUE)

will probably be pretty close to what you want.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich